Links recommended by Colin
Musicians & bands
Violin repair & restoration / Violin shops
are specialist string instrument dealers and repairers, with considerable in-depth knowledge and experience.
- Dick Clarke, proprietor of Violins Etc, has been trading, repairing and restoring fiddles since he opened his first store in Stockbridge, Edinburgh back in the 1970s.
, the stringed instrument specialists in Edinburgh and London, provide exceptional service.
Events and Festivals
The Orkney Folk Festival
is widely regarded as one of the most prolific and special throughout Scotland, the UK and further afield.
- The St. Magnus International Festival is Orkney's annual celebration of the arts. Founded in 1977, the Festival has grown into one of Britain's most highly regarded and adventurous arts events.
- The Shetland Folk Festival is the UK's most northerly folk festival and is regarded as a prestigious event by performers, locals and visitors alike.
- The Strad: Essential reading for the string music world since 1890.
- Strings Magazine: For players of violin, viola, cello, bass, and fiddle, and for string teachers and members of the trade.
- Ashmolean Museum in Oxford has a small but superb collection of classical Italian violins and violas, fine English and Italian viols, and a significant collection of bows.
- Orkneyjar, an extensive website covering the ancient history, folklore and traditions of Orkney.
- VisitOrkney, the official tourism website for Orkney.